Building your own RC airplane from RC plans is maybe the most cost efficient and fun way to get involved in the RC hobby. Once you have taken the initial cost for your RC radio, servos and power system you can reuse that equipment just by moving them from plane to plane. Make sure you choose this equipment wisely and there will be no need to buy more equipment in a while. Also, Take a look at the RC plane equipment primer here on midnightsunrc.com.
In the case of RC foamies, these are the steps needed:
- Download your free model airplane plans
- Print the RC plan using an ordinary printer
- Scotch tape the pages (or tiles) together according to the overview picture that often follows the RC plan
- Spray glue the complete RC plan to the foam sheet
- Trace out the RC foamies parts with a sharp knife (note that some parts should be duplicated)
- Glue the parts together according to instructions that comes with the RC plan
Build your own RC foamies from free RC plans is a nice way to spend a weekend because that is about the time it takes from download to finished RC plane. The first time you build your RC foamies from PDF plans it may take a bit longer. Spend all the time that you need to get it done. A word of advice is to build your plane ”good enough” the first time. Then when you have done your test flights and maybe found some tweaks you can build a new one and put some nice finish to it using paints.
Free RC plans
There are many sources on the Internet where you can find free model airplane plans. The most common way is to get your RC plan as a tiled PDF file. Make sure you acrobat reader or some other software that can open PDF files on your computer.
Below is a list of 5 good places where you can get free model airplane plans on the Internet:
- rc.tomhe.net – free model airplane plans
- 3dfoamy.com – free rc foam plane plans
- rcFoamFighters.com – some free rc plans
- rcfoam.com – large selection of free rc plans
- parkjets.com – free rc plans
Deluxe RC plans
If you are willing to spend some money I would really recommend you to buy some of RCPowers pdf plans as an alternative to the free plans. They are really well-tested and flies excellent. Either buy the plans separately or get the Ultimate RC eCourse! and get a lot of good reading AND five of RCPowers most popular pdf plans.